Followers

Thursday, September 29, 2011

Appalachian Houses



More than a century ago, log cabins were a common site in Appalachia and in other rural areas of the eastern United States. Samuel and Elizabeth Matthews built this cabin near Galax in 1869. Made largely of oak, it has one room on each of its two floors. Over time, the family installed a wood stove and added a bedroom, a metal roof, and weatherboarding.

In 1956, Matthews cabin was donated to the National Parks Service. Workers carefully restored the structure to its earlier appearance and moved it to this site (Mabry Mill).
*************************************************************************************

Things going on this weekend that interest me!

FRIDAY

Oktoberfest Festival

Wine Gourmet will be pouring 10 German and craft beers for tasting and serving them with the normal Oktoberfare of brats and beer bread. 5 to 8 p.m. Free. Wine Gourmet, 3524 Electric Road, Roanoke. 400-8466.

SATURDAY

Mountain Magic In Fall Bluegrass, Antiques & Crafts Festival

Stroll through more than 100 vendor spaces featuring antiques, crafts, art and great food, with live bluegrass performances and an antique auto and tractor show. 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Free. Main Street, Buchanan. 254-1212.

4 comments:

  1. It's good that it has been restored to the original condition and will be maintained as part of our national heritage. Fine shot of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tanya, somehow I have missed your blg lately, I love to visit log cabins like this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It sounds as if you have an interesting weekend coming up. I'm glad the Matthews cabin has been saved and restored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. One of my grandmothers was born in Galax and I had the distinct pleasure of worshiping in a small church there five years ago when nearing the end of my cross country drive from Seattle to Sparta to visit cousins... I wish I could spend more time in the mountains to photograph where my father's family lived and many still do... love this image!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)