Followers

Thursday, January 6, 2022

Signs 2 - Elba Butcher Shoppe

 

Elba Butcher Shoppe . 212 East Washington St . Bedford


We used to go to a butcher in Salem called O’Brien’s…they had a great cut of steak we’d get which they marinated but sadly they closed a few years back…Nick had heard of this butcher shop in Bedford so we stopped in last week after we had gone to the park…


Oh my gosh!! It was literally like stepping back into the 1950’s!! I wasn’t around in the 50’s but it is how I imagine it would have been back then!  I LOVED it! This is no yuppy chain store, no ma’am…this is olden days America!! The employees were as sweet as can be and the selection of meats put Kroger and Food Lion to shame! We grabbed a of couple rib eyes and grilled them at home and they were delicious! We will definitely be going back! 


While writing this post up I was wanting to know more about Elba’s previous life because Elba’s hasn’t been open too long…


Before Elba’s became Elba’s it was known as Vista Foods, which opened in the 1950’s but sadly closed in February of 2020 because it just couldn’t compete with the big box stores 😢


Fortunately Wendall Dawson came along and purchased the store and opened his 3rd Elba Butcher Shoppe in June of the same year! Also Wendall worked at the old Vista Foods from 1981 to 2012! This is one happy ending! Leave it to me to enter an old grocery store and have to find out the whole history lol…

I also found this sweet little news video about Vista closing which you can watch HERE and you can read about the opening of Elba HERE


If you zoom in on the picture you can see a Christmas Tree under the open sign! Love that extra touch!


Today, for Thankful Thursday I am thankful that little hometown markets like this still exist…especially in the crazy world we live in right now it is comforting to be able to step back in time, do a little grocery shopping and forget that it’s 2022 for a minute…that makes my heart happy…who knew a little grocery store can do all that?!


Linking with Tom’s Signs 2

and Michelle’s Thankful Thursday

4 comments:

  1. Awesome! There is a new butcher shop near me but it was closed when I went by. I would love a good ribeye!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a find! I had no idea that butcher shops even existed anymore. This is the only place I would ever buy meat if we lived close enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A good butcher shop is to be patronized as much as possible. You are so lucky to have one available.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)