Followers

Tuesday, April 3, 2018

Spruce Creek Park

click on photos to enlarge

You remember how I'm cleaning out my old picture files right? Well I came across these back from April 2012! We had taken a little road trip to Walton's Mountain Museum (yes, as in The Walton's tv show!) and after we were done checking it out we stopped and picked up some bbq and found this great little park behind this old Country Store, which was built in about 1908...I searched my blog to see what I had shown you all from the day and really I didn't show anything but a couple of pictures, one being this store but none of the museum so I'll show that stuff a little later...today I'm going to show you around this park! So let's go!


I really loved the old store...when I blogged about it HERE I said that I had read about it being used as an art museum...I didn't look into that any further so I don't know if it still is...


Here's the family looking a little bit younger eating our lunch that we picked up from The Blue Ridge Pig...I blogged about that right HERE ...notice Ashlyn and Christian hiding from the camera...teenagers... haha


There was a pretty little creek...


A turtle....


A dragonfly...


Butterflies...


A funky little band...


More watery views...


Fences and hills...


Gates and gravel roads...


Pastures and mountains...


A church, I think...or a house with really neat windows...


And lots of shade to cool off after our nice walk!

Some info on the park:
Spruce Creek Park/Camille Memorial Park Trails

Spruce Creek Park is located along State Route 151 just east of the Nelson Scenic Loop. Over four miles of trails extend between parking areas located at the former Wintergreen country store and in a designated lot on the southwest side of the bridge crossing of the Rockfish River. The trails follow the Rockfish River through farm land that has been placed under conservation easement. The trails are one of the stops along the Thomas Jefferson Loop of the Virginia Birding and Wildlife Trail. The trails interpret local birds and other wildlife and culture. Currently open for hiking only, these are mowed grass and dirt trails, and have a nearly level grade throughout, while surrounded by spectacular mountain views. The trails are open sunrise to sunset.
Copied from HERE
And HERE is a little historical background on the store...

Linking up with Tom's Tuesday's Treasures

5 comments:

  1. ...neat! I've always been a fan of the Waltons. Yet another place to put on my to see list. Thanks Tanya for stopping by, enjoy your week and stop back when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How wonderful!!! I adore the metal creatures! This would be a perfect day for me. I was going to beg you for the location, I am SO glad you told us!! As soon as I am healed, I am going! This gives me something to look forward to now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a lovely place to picnic or hike or just sit and enjoy beautiful nature! I was a bit taken aback when I saw the title of this post: We have several Spruce Creeks around here...they are subdivisions with golf courses. It gets confusing sometimes because if you don't get it right you could end up at the wrong golf course at the right time! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful scenery! The metal sculptures made me smile.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)