Followers

Friday, November 14, 2014

Willy Nilly Friday 5 No. 20 - Old Timey

click on photo to enlarge
Along Brugh's Mill Rd, Fincastle

A funny story about this photo. This was taken a little bit after leaving the market yesterday. The boys like the Root Beer they sell there so they each got one. They come in a plastic bottle that the lid screws on and off. So, Dalton is riding shotgun. I stop in the middle of the road to snap this shot really quick, telling the boys to be on the lookout for oncoming vehicles. Then we hear a sizzling type noise coming from the front passenger side. It gets loud, kind of quiets, then starts again...just sounds like a sizzle...sssssss...I'm getting worried thinking "what the heck is that noise?" ...Dalton thinks it's coming from the airbag so I tell him he better move into the back seat, maybe the airbag is about to explode or something. I'm driving slowly trying to figure out where the sound is...all the while looking for a place to pull over thinking I should probably call Nick, I'm not sure if I should be driving with this strange noise...all of a sudden Braden yells "Dalton, you idiot, it's your root beer bottle, the lid isn't on tight"....oh Dalton and I start cracking up, and boy, was I relieved that it wasn't something major with my car or that I didn't call Nick to come get us lol

So now for Willy Nilly's:

1) Ginny asked yesterday about the name Brugh's Mill and if there was an actual mill. Yes, there was but I think it is no longer around from my little bit of research. I found THIS interesting reading on the Brugh family, their tavern and mill. I also posted some info and a picture of the tavern before HERE

2) My dentist appt went well, except for the fact that I need some fillings done. But on the bright side, I really liked the people there...very nice...and it's super convenient to home! Ginny asked how I found my dentist and what happened with the old one. Well, I had been going to my old dentist here because he was referred to me through sports. He's local and I knew him and as a person and dentist I liked him. His office personnel not so much but I didn't worry about it until last week calling them to see when my cleanings were scheduled for this month and the woman at the desk told me she cancelled them because she had called to confirm and I never called her back, and again I got to deal with her "pleasant" attitude...so I told her that as much as I like Dr. So-and-so I didn't care for her rudeness and will not be coming back. I then just called this other dentist that is really close to home and the woman who schedules appointments and answers the phones was SO NICE and got Nick, Braden, Dalton and myself in for our cleanings all within 2 weeks. So Nick and I have had ours and the boys go next week. Ash and Christian had already went to Dr. So-and-so, but they'll have their next cleanings at the new dentist...

3) In honor of Veteran's Day this past Tuesday HERE are some war dogs...and A&E is coming out with this show Dogs Of War ...looks like a great show for a great cause.

4) A while back miss Busy Bee Suz posted about Vanilla Ice and I have been meaning to bring up this show Vanilla Ice Goes Amish ...it's really pretty good!

Here's some Bluegrass Ice Ice Baby:


5) 10 Things Your Mom Never Told You

Happy Friday peeps!! Now let's see yours!



26 comments:

  1. Cute story about the root beer. I also had a very rude receptionist at a dentist and no I didn't go back. I wonder how many customers these ill-mannered people lose for their bosses. Thanks for hosting. This is a fun meme. I just signed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Enjoyed the blue grass - don't get much of that round these parts - and your story of the root beer. Reminded me of when my brother's ginger beer plant exploded in the airing cupboard...hang on in there with the dentist! Looks a fun meme, but requires thinking - so just a comment from me, I'm afraid! Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I enjoyed the Bluegrass boys and number 5 is wonderful..when I was 10 over two dozen homemade Ginger beer bottle tops exploded in our basement, an area that wasn't far from my Father's Gunsmith atelier-so you can imagine what our first thoughts were :-) ...

    ReplyDelete
  4. When ever there are strange sounds in my old car they go away when I turn the radio up...works every time!! Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  5. I drive Bud nuts when I say "What is that noise?"....Bud says "It's just a car, forget it."

    Went out to the 10 things link...I experienced #6 the most I think.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i loved Vanilla Ice as a kid. played his song over and over. he has not changed much - till as silly as ever. ha. ha!! happy weekend. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the root beer soda story....made me lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hilarious root beer story, and good news about the new dentist... have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I got a good laugh out of the root beer story. Loved this version of Ice!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I thought you had a flat tire! Very funny! I hope that dentist get a chance to check his front desk employee or he will keep loosing customers. I really liked the dogs of war article, I hope it comes in Netflix I would love to watch it, the same for Vanilla Ice and the Amish people. Never thought to see Vanilla Ice and Amish people together! Love your picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I really like this photo - I have done things like the root beer mystery sound . . so, color me relieved I'm not alone in the world of "Oh My Fur & Whiskers . . What 's THAT?!!!" I'm glad you had a satisfactory outcome . . . . . And, golly, that's some fun Bluegrass . . . Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks for your very newsy post this morning...glad your dentist issue worked out for you and the family. All about the front office, right? I was thinking, too, that you were getting a flat tire. Whew!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love the dogs of war idea; so awesome. The root beer story is hilarious....sounds like something that could happen in my car with my crew.
    I still love me some Vanilla ice; he is a character and that version of his song will be stuck in my head ALL DAY!! The mother piece made me cry...I'm going to share it with my girls and mom.

    ReplyDelete
  14. love the ice, ice baby rendition! and so glad the rootbeer didn't spew all over your car! :)

    glad the dentist went well!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I have gotten rid of tv, but before I did, I very much enjoyed watching that Vanilla Ice goes Amish show! ...and his other home improvement show! That version of Ice Ice Baby was great to listen to...lol.

    ReplyDelete
  16. One thing I've noted while blogging. Some places have some great names. You've mention quite a few over the years. Fincastle, Brugh's Hill... pretty cool places I bet.
    btw Those two guys must be a 24 hour Laugh Riot!

    ReplyDelete
  17. That Vanilla Ice, he has a finger in every pie. We saw him last year on a cooking show! I think he is more of a celebrity than having any real talent. Oh my gosh, I would have thought the hissing sound was a snake! I would have probably jumped out of the car, you have a cool head. Good for you for not taking that rude lady anymore! Dentist appointments are stressful anyway, without so much meanness. Thanks so much for the mill info!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I had to laugh at the root beer story. I also listen notice sounds and BG will tell me not to listen so closely. lol! The 10 Things made me want to tear up. It's been years and years since my children were young, but I could have written that article myself. The things we do because we love them so much!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Very cute root beer story!

    That place looks like it's about to collapse in the next strong wind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Loved reading about the Brugh Tavern and Mill...I love history and love obscure sites especially Virginia ones! :-) Glad your new dentist is working out. The root beer story was so funny!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Glad you like the new dentist. Rude clerks or receptionists or rude people period just turn me off. I would have switched dentists too.
    Interesting read about the mill.
    Snappy tune.
    Beautiful tribute to moms.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh, things like the Root Beer event happens to us all the time. What's up with that?? Glad it wasn't anything bad. I really like the bluegrass "Ice, Ice Baby!"

    ReplyDelete
  23. I'm glad the root beer didn't explode all over your vehicle! (And that it wasn't anything more serious.) Glad your new dentist's office worked out well. My former doctor's office staff was like that, or too busy talking among themselves to pay any mind to patients.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's a great find! The old cars just add to it!

    ReplyDelete
  25. That garage has seen it's last days.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yes, they went very fun, nice picture, a very funny story!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)