Followers

Thursday, May 10, 2012

Rural Thursday Blog Hop # 16


This year, year 2012 is the year of the Cicada here in Virginia and in West Virginia. The first time I had heard about this was shortly after we moved to Missouri in 2001 and the Cicadas emerged. We were clueless then, this year we are know-it-alls about the Cicadas coming. I first heard them, the sound is quite loud that they all make, a constant buzzing noise...i guess you could google it if you were so inclined to do so, I wasn't ;)

I don't know much about the Cicada only that they live underground for a very long time, up to 17 years then come up from the underground and look like "exhibit A" (the pic on the left...ok, I know this is a horrible picture but at the time of trying to take this I was also wrestling Ozzy and Ozzy just loves bugs...any kind of bug...unfortunately Ozzy won...RIP Mr. Cicada...and that black blur in the bottom right corner is, you guessed it, Ozzy.)

so anyway....they shed their shell and leave it everywhere, like on trees, by the hundreds...like "exhibit B" the photo on the right. I'm not sure if exhibit A is before or after exhibit B but if you would like to know more on the crazy Cicada you can visit this link Cicada Mania and you can even order stuff like t's, hats and mugs, cool eh?! No, I didn't order any ;)

Well that's what's happening here in my corner of the world and I'm linking up with my pals at Rural Thursday!


21 comments:

  1. I love to hear the noise they make! It can be irritating to those who don't like it, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. it doesn't bother me at all....i get so used to it that i have actually listen for it haha

      Delete
  2. We went hiking last weekend and saw them (and heard them!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Im soooo glad we dont get those. they look nasty.

    Shaun
    Valleys ShutterBug

    ReplyDelete
  4. A must have sound for spring/summer nights! I collected the shells when I was a child. I know, weird. The challenge was to get them off of tree intact without breaking the legs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We called them "locusts" when we were kids -- not really knowing they were cicadas. I love the sound they make. Reminds me of summers in my youth. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. yuk, with a very cool sound!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. we get the every-summer variety here. they're cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we had the every summer variety in missouri too...you could hear them every summer, all summer...but then while we were there a new variety came up from below...i remember the big hub-bub about it and was confused since we always heard them anyway!

      Delete
  8. We get them here too (not this year) and sometimes the air is thick with them. They're fun to watch until one gets in your hair!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I remember cicadas from my childhood. Hmmm. I wonder if this will be a cicada year here too. I'll just have to wait and see.

    ReplyDelete
  10. An amazing life cycle. I've never heard of this species. Fine post.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Those cicadas are quite something. I don't remember hearing them in these parts (Massachusetts)but I remember them in Ohio. They are noisy little buggers.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The "Year of the Cicada" sort of snuck up on me. Didn't realize it was here again so soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. they are cool, i love to hear the noise they make.

    wonderful post and blog!

    hope you're having a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  14. stopping by to say hi and thanks so much for the follow;

    following you right back!

    ReplyDelete
  15. We played "army" with the shells when I was a kid in Kansas by lining up the "forces" on the picnic table! :) Like Amy said, it was a challenge to get them off the tree without breaking the legs. I still remember their sound, the sound of summer from my childhood...sigh. I miss lightning bugs too!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I do know cicada's well. I was at a friends house last summer and there must have been a cicada party going on in her trees because boy were they loud.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I haven't heard these in years.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cool pics! It reminds me of summer hearing the Cicadas in the evening. It's been a while though.


    Thanks for stopping by to see my sweet strawberries!

    Jen

    ReplyDelete
  19. I heard (no pun intended) on the network news about it a couple days ago... amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)