Followers

Wednesday, February 26, 2014

ABC Wednesday - G is for Gadsby's Tavern Dining Car

(click on photo to enlarge)

My favorite part of the train tour was the George Washington. Our tour guide was very informative but my memory is very limited so I'll put out there what I "think" is correct...the rest is up to you to Google it lol....so anyways, again, I "think" that she told us there were 3 of these George Washington trains. Each named after a tavern he frequented. This one is the Gadsby which is located in Alexandria. You can visit their website HERE . The other 2 are the Michie, which is in Charlottesville and has been on my list to go see for a couple of years...it's only a couple of hours away but it's just one of those things we keep putting off for another weekend. You can visit the Michie Tavern HERE and lastly is the Raleigh in Williamsburg which you can visit HERE.
The only one at C & O is the Gadsby. I don't remember if she told us if the other 2 are somewhere to tour.

(click photo to enlarge)
Luggage and hats. They actually have old hats in the hat boxes!

(click on photo to enlarge)
The baggage car..

(click on photo to enlarge)

(click on photo to enlarge)
Sink in the restroom. Notice the details!

(click on photo to enlarge)
Pictures hanging of all 3 taverns.

And I think I mentioned before, you can rent this for parties! More info HERE

More tomorrow!

Linking with ABC Wednesday


21 comments:

  1. Nice way to learn about historical taverns!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just caught up on your train series it is fabulous and your young men are gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great place to rent for a party!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That tour is one of the hidden gems of our area, I think. And you should hit the Miche on a weekday if you can - the place is so crowded on weekends you can hardly get in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Michie tavern is the only one that I have been to, it is kind of a bulk tourist place but has good food. They moved it from somewhere in the area to a more tourist friendly spot, the road to Monticello.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'd be afraid my party guests would start throwing around luggage or something. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you imagine how much fun this would be as a party setting? I can see guests arriving for a flapper-themed event:)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very cool - I love old trains, and the history on these is so interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  9. What fun it would be to rent for a party! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. It would be fun to have a party on the old train! Neat photos.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You really captured well the look and feel of this old train.

    ReplyDelete
  12. The old train certainly does feel like something out of the past!

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a fun place to visit and tour. The older I get, the more interested in history I seem to be! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is just too cool! I love all the old luggage and those hat boxes are really cute!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Memory is a funny thing... In any case, a nice place!
    ROG, ABC Wednesday team

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think it would be a fun place to have a party! Those hat boxes remind me of when I was a little girl. My mother had hat boxes in her closet, because back then you didn't dare go to church without wearing a hat.

    ReplyDelete
  17. What a great place to visit! I'd love that! Great photos, too.

    Leslie
    abcw team

    ReplyDelete
  18. If you don't have the facts right, who are we to challenge them. I don't know if George frequented three favorite taverns or fifteen.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think it is so cool how they fit all the luxuries (kinda) into such a compact space. LOVE this!!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)