Followers

Monday, November 17, 2008

The Woodson's







Mr. and Mrs. Selma Woodson owned our house after the Sperry's and then the widow, Mrs. Nettie Huff Woodson, later sold it to Mrs. Hancock in 1948.
The Woodson's final resting place is in the cemetery at the end of our road. I've heard of them and to walk over and see their markers make them so much more real to me. Mr. Woodson signed his name down in the basement in 1929. I haven't found out yet if they had children or not. I only just started to find out more on this couple who have shared our home.

A small update: We "might" get some snow tonight! Just flurries I've heard but hopefully we'll get something! It sure is cold out. I'm heading to the grocery store shortly. I'd love if they cancelled school tomorrow and the kids got a snow day! I've heard it doesn't take a whole lot for them to cancel school so keep your fingers crossed :)

15 comments:

  1. I think its nice that you are able to find out so much history of your house and area.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it's rare to see people remember people that shared their home. you are such a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think like "Jim"...

    Nice history !

    See You later !

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tanya, your home isn't just a house; it's a history! How wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I find very interesting your research regarding the previous owners of your 'new' (old) house. Are their graves on the cemetery you've posted before, the one I found very nature like?

    ReplyDelete
  6. How interesting. Love reading about the history of your new home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. very interesting, we built our own home so I find this intriguing when one can trace previous owners.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Another piece of history about your house, it is so interesting. I hope you can find out more :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. So we'll keep our fingers crossed for that snow day!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I think I would be the same way you are as far as wanting to know more about someone who once lived in the house, especially if they are buried on the property. You might try city hall, or some of the local church records..deeds to the property that kind of thing.
    Snow sounds COLD to me..we rarely get it here in Tidewater, but we did that nasty rumor that we might get a flurry tonight too.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love stuff like that - you're mine kind of person :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hello Tanya, just reading your profile made me smile and think of my dream house. We sold our flat this summer and are living in a small flat for the time being until we find and buy our dream home which for us here in MAlta is an old house which we can restore with TLC and enjoy a small yard . It is hard to buy houses with big gardens here let alone land as Malta is pretty small. Love your photos.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)