Followers

Thursday, April 25, 2013

Signs, Signs - Amazement Square, Lynchburg


Honeycomb inside Amazement Square, Lynchburg

Amazement Square in Lynchburg, Virginia has quite a history. In fact few of the native Lynchburgers seem to be aware of the historical significance of the old J.W. Wood building sitting in their midst.
The building goes back to pre-civil war days when it was used as an infirmary for wounded confederate soldiers and a commissary for the troops. The building was erected sometime between 1851 and 1853 to be used as a warehouse.

Bugs have a special place at Amazement Square that goes back to the renovation efforts to the old warehouse. When the workmen were very carefully cleaning the exterior of the building with a special low-pressure spray, they uncovered the original signage on the building.
Among other things, huge lettering on the building said, "Death to all Insects". So in addition to being a wholesale grocery outlet, it must have also sold a large amount of insecticides.
That presented the organizers with a dilemma. The museum was to be a place that educated young children about all life forms and strove to honor them all so what to do about such a banner that advocated death to all insects.
Scorpy Bug, the museum mascot, came to the rescue with his can of spray paint and changed the sign to read "Respect to All Insects" much to the relief of "Lynchbugs" everywhere. There is now a considerable amount of space devoted to the bugs and bees.

I love the bug room and shared that info with you because it will link with my sign for next week. I didn't know about the "Death to all Insects" till just now...so stay tuned :)

Linking with Signs, Signs

And you can read more about how Amazement Square came to be RIGHT HERE!

15 comments:

  1. I just love those kind of museums that make learning fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad the sign was changed. Without insects humans would be in BIG trouble. Who would pollinate our vegetables, fruit and grains? :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I could certainly do without some insects, but I'd sure like to see more honeybees around! What a fascinating town you visited!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what purpose mosquitoes, ticks, and ants serve, but I could definitely do without them! lol! I do like the Greek saying above. ;-) Very interesting history.

    Thanks for your visit and comment on my Signs entry.

    ~Lindy

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hooray for Scorpy Bug!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a great place to visit.
    Thanks for dropping by and visiting me.

    ReplyDelete
  7. wow! that was a harsh company slogan! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photo, I love the frame!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't know about 'death to ALL insects', a few is fine by me, but certainly not the lot.
    I am waiting for the crickets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I guess every insect is part of the bigger scheme of things and serves its purpose. Very interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  11. proves the point....history depends on who is writing it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cool story....saw the "Death to all insects" post first.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)