Followers

Tuesday, April 23, 2013

Taphophile Tragics - Sallie A.P.

Fincastle Presbyterian Church

Inscription:
Beneath this stone lies the body of Sallie A.P.

Daughter of M.C. and S.L. Patton who died March 20, 1854 in the 2nd year of her age.

I couldn't make out what the bottom of the stone said but after some Google searches I came up with this which was listed as a tombstone saying:

"God in his wisdom has recalled
The boon his love has given
And though the body moulders
here the soul is safe in Heaven."

It's always so sad to find the grave of a child.

Links:
Rootsweb Fincastle Presbyterian
Rootsweb Botetourt County Deaths

It shows on the Rootsweb Botetourt Co deaths page that she died of "Inflammation of" and that is it...Inflammation of what I wonder...

Linking with Taphophile Tragics

16 comments:

  1. Tragic indeed, and all those years ago...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel sad too whenever I see a grave of a child; babies especially.

    Great shot!

    Liz (yacb)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Tanya our old cemeteries are full of children it was such a hard life for them and I can only imagine the Mother's knowing that and dealing with that. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. So many children died at very early ages back then. Very sad for the mothers especially. :(

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like the lamb resting atop her tombstone and thank God that losing a child to illness is so much rarer these days.

    ReplyDelete
  6. sad that the lamb's head is missing..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, it is so sad to see the tombstones of children. There are so many of them in those old cemeteries.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's the best time to make a few plans for the long run and it's
    time to be happy. I have learn this submit and if I could I
    desire to counsel you some attention-grabbing things or tips.
    Perhaps you could write next articles regarding this article.
    I want to read even more issues about it!


    my site ... Diets That Work For Women

    ReplyDelete
  9. Funny how an inscription like this leads to questions. Unusual stone.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm constantly amazed at the number of children's graves we see in some of the pioneer cemeteries back in the mountains. We found one that contained the graves of seven children from the same family. They all died before the age of five. It's hard to imagine the grief of the parents.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A fine shot of this sad tombstone. In those days infection was a deadly development.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautifully captured, and sad to think this was so common then.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fascinating, I am so glad you were able to google the inscription.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a sweet but sad little stone. I hate mysteries like that. I too wonder what her cause of death was.

    Beneath Thy Feet

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)