Baby elephant at the Pittsburgh Zoo
When learning that the theme "The Beauty of Decay" won the vote for our City Daily Photo group I immediately planned to use one of the many old buildings I have photographed. I thought this would be easy! But then, I decided I wanted to expand on the theme and what decay means so I looked up the many definitions.
And here they are:
v. de·cayed, de·cay·ing, de·cays
1. Biology To break down into component parts; rot.
2. Physics To disintegrate or diminish by radioactive decay.
3. Electronics To decrease gradually in magnitude. Used of voltage or current.
4. Aerospace To decrease in orbit. Used of an artificial satellite.
5. To fall into ruin: a civilization that had begun to decay.
6. Pathology To decline in health or vigor; waste away.
7. To decline from a state of normality, excellence, or prosperity; deteriorate.
#7 made me think of this photo. A beautiful baby elephant living out its life in a zoo. That is not really a "state of normality" for an elephant, is it? Nor "excellence"?
I'm sure the elephants, as well as the rest of the animals are treated very well there at that zoo but still....I can't help but be sad to see them caged in like this, to never live in a "state of normality" and slowly decay, from the inside.
To see takes on this theme, from all over the world, visit City Daily Photo