Followers

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

JMU's Wilson Hall & The Kissing Rock

click on photos to enlarge

James Madison University's Wilson Hall
Named after President Woodrow Wilson who was born in nearby Staunton
The cornerstone was laid in 1930 and finished in 1931
Built of local Bluestone

Kissing Rock (you can see Wilson Hall in the background)
This big piece of limestone was unearthed in the early 20's. Rumor is that in the early years of the school the female students were not allowed to be alone with the male students without a dorm mother present so the boys and girls would hide behind this rock and... well...kiss ;)

I went up to Harrisonburg yesterday to help Ashlyn pack up her apartment. I brought down a car load of stuff. She still has a little bit more time in her lease so she is still hanging around there but she's very sad to leave!

Linking up with Tom's Tuesday's Treasures

18 comments:

  1. I can see why Ashlyn will be sad to leave! Beautiful area and fond memories I'm sure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Truly a beautiful campus. Like the idea of the Kissing Rock.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Times have changed and the Kissing Rock may tell lots of stories about hidden boys and girls

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey proud mama, thanks for sharing this glimpse of Virginia history. Great architecture here! I hope that you stop back again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great building and a lucky graduate... it's always sad to leave a place.
    Kissing rock is cool!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful looking campus! I guess everyone has a place to hide when needed :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like Kissing Rock. And I can understand why Ashlyn would be hesitant to leave - lots of good memories. Super photos, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Didn't know the story "behind" the rock. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. It is a beautiful campus. Bravo to Ashlyn!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Change can be hard! No doubt she has enjoyed her time there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We live only 30 minutes from Harrisonburg! Oh, I would have loved to meet you! Next time,let me know. We could meet in that big Starbucks and I would buy you coffee. We go by JMU a lot, and I had no idea about this rock! What a cute piece of local history!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very interesting and I love the photos. I hope you and Ginny have the chance to meet in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great series of photos! I can well understand why Ashlyn will be sad to leave. She is going to treasure these pics.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Stunning architecture. Thanks for sharing the history behind it and the rock. Great graduate photo.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've seen the rock but never knew the history behind it. That's neat to know. Very good photo of Ashln and the area is so nice.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)