Followers

Friday, June 17, 2016

Willy Nilly Friday 5 No. 87

click on photos to enlarge
I am so sorry to be late with Willy Nilly this week. We had a huge storm last night and lost power here and there. I wish I had thought to take pictures as the sky was so lit up with lightning, more than I think I have ever seen! So anyways, here we go...back to Stagville...

1)
A barn near the Bennehan home I've shown you this week. The tour is divided into 2 parts, the Bennehan house and Horton Grove, which you need to drive to. The bricks I showed you on Tuesday were from there, the rest, including today's are from the first part of the tour, around the Bennehan house. Horton Grove consists of slave cabins and a great barn, which I will show you next week! Confused yet? lol

2)
The kitchen garden which grows original herbs and plants...I want a garden just like this!

3)
Tobacco barn

4)
Slave quarters foundation...these slaves would have worked in the "big house" as it is situated near-by. Unlike the field hand slaves, the domestic slaves were on call 24/7.

5)
Walking back to the main house I spotted this Honey Locust tree...I don't think there is any historical significance attached to it but holy moly...look at those thorns! Ouch! After this we met up at the visitor's center to join the tour group...Next stop, Horton Grove!
For more info on Stagville, you can visit their website HERE

And here's a few links I have found this morning on Stagville that I thought were interesting!
HERE is a blog with beautiful photographs of Stagville
HERE is a nice little article about the history of Stagville
HERE is a ghost story of Stagville


So that's my 5 this week! I hope you will join in! Post 5 randoms, link back and visit others! Have a great weekend and Happy Father's Day to all you daddies!


I'm linking up with Amy :)
and also with Denise's Today's Flowers (you will have to zoom in to the garden shot there ;) )




28 comments:

  1. Fascinating walk back through the past there, Tanya! It is the sweetest little garden too! The old buildings are just fantastic!
    Thanks for hosting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my, that tree, those thorns, I've never ever seen anything like it. Imagine bumping into that by accident! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great photos and holy moly is right, those thorns look dangerous. Will have to check out this area one day. Thanks for all the links and thanks so much for linking with Today's Flowers. Have a great weekend Tanya!

    p.s. we got that storm too, it rained like the dickens and I heard thunder in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great photos and holy moly is right, those thorns look dangerous. Will have to check out this area one day. Thanks for all the links and thanks so much for linking with Today's Flowers. Have a great weekend Tanya!

    p.s. we got that storm too, it rained like the dickens and I heard thunder in the distance.

    ReplyDelete
  5. no storms here, just blue skies...send rain please.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The honey locust tree you'd want to give a wide berth. I've never heard of them growing here.

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a garden for me! Nice interesting series and I've never seen a Honey Locust tree before...
    Hope, it's all right after the storm now?
    We had big rain here, no summer feeling.
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have never seen a Locust tree before those are some impressive thorns, they could do some real damage.

    ReplyDelete
  9. http://maschas-buch.blogspot.de/2016/06/friday-five-and-renovation.html
    (I cannot find Mr. Linky)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Tanya...I'm actually back! Sort've. :-) Well, this was a gorgeous post, and the photos of this amazing place remind me of what we had dreamed our final home would look like, somewhere in Virginia. Oh well, life is full of curves. I love historic sites, as you know, and this one is awesome. Looks like others are having some trouble with your linky at times. Mom complained to me that it happened ot her as well. Hope you have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh those storms with power outages are the pits sometimes. But we have all been there, and understand.

    Again, this is another of your awesome posts...anything like this just so intrigues me. I'm wondering if the thorns were for the subordinates? Y'know what I mean? Hope not...but worse things have happened, or at least I've read of mistreatment as such.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I added my link with no problem, but then when I scrolled up to pay a visit to others, it disappeared. Will try and come back at a later time.

      Delete
  12. About the link....I have had the same problem on another site recently where I linked up and came back and the whole kinky was gone and then came back later and it was there! I don't know if it's links or blogger....frustrating I know! Thanks everyone 😊

    ReplyDelete
  13. Goodness that tree is quite a sight isn't it! Thank you for joining Five On Friday, hope you have a great weekend! xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow that tree is really something! It sounds like an interesting place. I'd love a herb garden like that. Mine is really small lol.

    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  15. What an interesting place to visit. Your photos show off greenery beautiful. Ah, summer!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my...those thorns are something else! Happy Five to you. Hope your weekend is fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Looks like an interesting place. The storm came through here too but only briefly.

    ReplyDelete
  18. So this is honey locust? I think no locusts would dare venture near! I love the kitchen garden and the tree shadows on the ground, plus all the vibrant beautiful greens!

    ReplyDelete
  19. P.S. Being so close to you, we had the same storm. It was crazy! Staunton had over 3,000 without power.

    ReplyDelete
  20. An interesting five, yes i love the kitchen garden with that cute fence too. an attractive way to keep my chickens out!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Excelentes fotografias e bom trabalho.
    Um abraço e bom fim de semana.
    https://andarilharar.blogspot.pt/

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love the old barns! We have honey locust trees here and they're rather impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I heard about the horrible storms in your area. Happy to hear you are safe. Thanks for the tour around Stagville. Love the history. Armchair traveling is fun. Hope your week is fun!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Had to read back through your earlier posts to get a feel for where you were. Beautiful place, have only driven through North Carolina on our way to somewhere else, never stopped anywhere, so thanks for the tour.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I find places like this quite informative and fun to learn about.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This post got me so curious I have had great fun scrolling back through your posts to see what you have been sharing for others to see :) I found you through Amy's link up and have become one of your followers. In my 65 years I have lived in MA, MO, CA, TX, NY, CO and now near Portland, OR where I create posts for my blog, One Saylor's Log. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wow. So much historical significance
    in this place. Those thorns?! I got the heebie jeebies just seeing that tree!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)