Followers

Monday, November 2, 2009

Lee House-Lexington, VA



The Lee House was built for General Robert E. Lee while he was President of Washington and Lee. In October 1870, R.E. Lee died in the dining room, and was buried in the crypt of Lee Chapel on campus.

A brick stable for Lee’s famous horse, Traveller, was attached off a back corner, and to this day, they still keep hay in it in case Traveller returns. I will show a picture of the stable tomorrow.

The house is closed to the public.

For more information on the house and Gen. R. E. Lee, CLICK HERE

And for another great read, Carriage Rides and Confederate Ghosts, CLICK HERE

Happy Monday!

8 comments:

  1. I didn't know that! How interesting that they still keep the hay for Traveller.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did not know that, either. Good Post and thanks for sharing. But, I'm wondering just why they keep hay for Traveller. Will wait to see your next Post.

    Les

    ReplyDelete
  3. Closed to the public.... does that mean we can't go peek in the windows either??

    DI
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  4. How many times do we put 'the hay out' even when the rational part of us knows the beloved animal isn't ever coming home?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Corker, I don't have an answer for you,lol....I only know about it because my son went on a field trip with his school there and they told him. When we went, he wanted to show us the hay and sure enough, there was hay waiting, although now the stable is a garage for automobiles, but they still have the stall, full of hay and waiting!

    Di, knowing you.....lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks like a beautiful house, I love the porch. Hay for the horse. Do they keep a bowl of stew for the General?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! the hay - very interesting. I think the schools should create Field Trips for Adults Only. Good job, Tanya.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)