Followers

Friday, November 27, 2009

SkyWatch Friday



Heading into Covington, in search of the covered bridge, we came upon this ginormous plant, Westvaco. We didn't know what it was at the time but the place is huge. So of course I had to google it when I came home (what would we do without Google?).

Turns out this is the Mead/Westvaco paper mill. The Covington Mill is one of the most technologically advanced bleached paperboard manufacturing facilities in the world. The mill stretches 1.5 miles along the Jackson River and employs about 1,500 people. It produces more than 2,500 tons of bleached paper and paperboard each day and exports its products to more than 60 countries. This facility manufactures paperboard used for premium folding cartons, for aseptic and other liquid packaging and for printing applications that include books, greeting cards and sports cards.

According to their website, they state that their Pollution Prevention Program is always looking for new ways to reduce emissions into the air, land and water and lessen the impact of its operations on the environment, employees and community.

By the looks of those plumes of smoke going into our atmosphere, they have their job cut out for them.

Any Black Friday shoppers out there? Did you get a good deal? I've never attacked the stores at dawn on Black Friday, in fact I stay as far away from any type store today! And did I hear that Toys R Us even opened earlier this year? At midnight? I think this whole Black Friday deal is getting way out of control. I wonder if other countries do this or if it's just American greed?

For more views of the sky from all over the world, visit SKYLEY

19 comments:

  1. Nice shot of the smokestacks, Tanya. I did Black Friday shopping last year, but not this year. The checkout lines are way too long to suit me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. RR, the deals have never outweighed the hassle of fighting those crowds to me, or getting up out of my warm bed when it's still dark out to stand in long lines. I do my Christmas shopping the old fashioned way, going to the stores on regular days, or online!

    I had a friend in Georgia once tell me that she had gone shopping on Black Friday and the line was so long and she had to go to the bathroom. She said there was no way she was getting out of line after waiting so long so she stood there and pee'd her pants, and told me like it was perfectly acceptable. I was shocked, still am. But that's one person out of the millions that go out today, that probably have a similar mind set, yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tanya,
    Hope you had a good thanksgiving. You won't believe how many of the outlet stores and malls up here in Lancaster County open at midnight and stay open all day and close at usually 10 or 11 at night..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool picture! Haven't been out shopping yet, but probably will go mingle with the crowds in awhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. No Black Friday shopping for me! I hate crowds and I haven't seen anything on sale worth getting up for anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an interesting post. I've really enjoyed the comments and your extra effort in taking a photograph and then documenting it. Nicely done, Tanya. I'm one of those last minute shoppers. I don't really get started until about a week before the holiday begins.

    ReplyDelete
  7. and global warming ;-)

    impressive picture

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm not into the black Friday hoopla, but I hate shopping on regular days of the week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think it's American Greed.... I am home today and it's very rare that I leave the house on Black Friday. I find no fun in standing in long lines any time of the year. People are just plain nuts... we will do the majority of our shopping online as that way we don't get our toes stepped on or bruises due to being bumped by shopping carts.

    Hope your Thanksgiving feast was wonderful!

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal
    Just Vignettes

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow that must have been quite a site to see. Great sky shot!
    I'm not big on crowds. I like going shopping when I know there are less crowds. It's just easier!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a similar 'Boxing Day Sale' in Canada. On my birthday - Dec. 26th. But these type of sales seem to occur more on what they cal Boxing Week. Less craziness than yours, for sure. I cannot stand crowds and I avoid them!

    My Muskoka has a smaller population, and no line-ups in winter. :-)
    Interesting shot!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you're having a wonderful Thanksgiving weekend! Love the pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  13. No black Friday shopping here but I love that shot. Industrial to say the least, yet a fantastic photo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think the internet has killed Black Friday at the mall. If you can get the same deals online, why put up with the crowds? Heck, the internet has killed the mall overall, Tanya you should see how empty the North County malls are. The Carlsbad mall by the 5 and 78 freeways is almost totally empty, can you believe it? They don't even turn on the A/C anymore, they can't afford it.
    Hope you had a fantastic Thanksgiving! I'm nosing my way back into the blogging world after getting my work stride. It's quite an eye opener to learn you have 5,000 daily readers at your day job - hmmm, quite a few more than San Diego Farmgirl blog, figured I'd better apply my time and attention appropriately! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  15. PS: Tanya, that peeing your pants story is TOO MUCH! I hate paying retail, but are bargains really worth losing control of your bodily functions? Sounds like our choice to stay home on Black Friday is a good one! haha

    ReplyDelete
  16. They sure do have their work cut out for them! That's a great picture. Really tells a story.

    I hate shopping period. Unless it's for horses, as you know, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That huge Paper Mill must produce a heck of allot of paper. I'm hoping that all of the "smoke" is just steam. It must be a tremendous employer for the area.

    I stay away from those Malls and all the crazy people on Black Friday. To brave the early hour just to get a buy, is not for me.

    Les

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)