Braden and Dalton breaking flax. You can read about turning flax into linen, step by step RIGHT HERE
Looking in my photos I realized I didn't get many from the inside of the Irish home. It was very small. Just the 2 rooms. They were poor. Notice the dirt floor. Our host in the first photo explains how difficult life was for them. They were not land owners and the landlord keeps raising the rent on the property they lease. That is why they came to America.
I showed you around the outside HERE
"The migration of Irish Protestants from Ulster, Ireland’s northernmost province, to the American colonies began by 1718. By the American Revolution, more than 100,000 Ulster immigrants had arrived in America, representing the single largest movement from the British Isles to British North America in the 1700s. In America these people and their descendants came to be known as the, “Scotch-Irish,” to recall their Scottish and Irish origins, and distinguish them for the Catholic Irish who arrived in the United States in the mid-1800s.
Most Ulster immigrants came to the colony of Pennsylvania. Competing with the Germans for land in southeastern Pennsylvania, many Irish families made their way through the Great Valley of the Appalachians to settle in western Pennsylvania, Maryland, Virginia, and the piedmont of North Carolina. By the end of the 1700s, theirs was the dominant English-speaking culture in the colonial American backcountry."
Read more HERE
Now for some Random Five Friday Fun!
1) I woke up about 45 minutes before my alarm this morning. I layed there trying to go back to sleep but couldn't. I hate that.
2) Last Friday night we watched The Great Gatsby. I loved it. I've never seen the original.
3) Tonight is Rec Night at the high school football game. All the Botetourt rec football teams get into the game free when they wear their jerseys. Then during half time their teams get announced and they get to run out on the field. It's always a fun thing for them to be honored that way.
4) Today after school is the first 6th grade dance. Braden and Dalton are pretty excited.
5) We are in for a rainy weekend. I need to get a new windshield wiper, TODAY!
Have a great weekend!