Followers

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Rural Thursday - Blog Hop # 9


Agnew Seed Shop, downtown Roanoke...from what I've been able to gather, Agnew Seed was built in 1897 and has remained in the Agnew family until the owner was found dead inside the building in 2008. The owner's wife decided to sell because it held too many bad memories. It went up for auction in 2009 and I am unclear as to what is happening with it now and will need to further investigate Google what happened.

Happenings around Botetourt....some of you may already know about the budget cuts our county is facing which include the possible closing of an elementary school, elimination of middle and high school sports, reduction in library hours, the senior citizen bus...and the list goes on and on...there was a board meeting held on Tuesday at Lord Botetourt High School and I had every intention of attending but then at the last minute my daughter Ashlyn was called in to work and Nick didn't get home till late so I had nobody to watch Braden and Dalton and didn't want to bring them to this all important meeting for fear they would be disruptive. I was so happy to see the parking lot at Lord Botetourt over-flowing when I went to pick Christian up from track practice. I figured I would catch up on the events of the evening from friends and I really wouldn't be missed because it seemed all of Botetourt was there! There were many citizens of the county who spoke up, senior citizens, high school students, parents, etc....declaring what they would miss the most and how important it is for them, like the high school student who told the story how sports literally saved him or the little old woman who said she depends on the senior citizen bus to take her husband to his dialysis because she is unable to because of her cancer. Apparently there wasn't a dry eye in the house.

The public support shown on Tuesday evening makes it all clear to me why I am so happy to live in this county. I truly hope none of our services/benefits we have taken for granted get cut.

You can read a real in-depth account of the evening at my friend Anita's blog @ Blue Country Magic. She did a real fine job of summing up the evening!
And you can read her news story right here.

Linking to Rural Thursday, c'mon and check it out!

27 comments:

  1. You don't see many old feed stores like that anymore! Thank you for preserving the past with your camera!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i know, aren't they great though?! much better than shopping at those big chain stores!

      Delete
  2. I feel for those school administrators who are caught between wanting to provide students with quality educational experiences and declining revenue. I'm hoping a recovering economy will result in a new found appreciation for the worthwhile services our taxes support.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry you weren't able to attend the meeting - it was an overflow crowd, though. A good turn out.

    You can read my news article about it at http://ourvalley.org/13821/

    It's a little different than my blog entry since it is a news story. - Anita

    ReplyDelete
  4. So is Agnew not open right now? I used to love going in there and walking around. I didn't realize the owner had died.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. i had forgotten about it going on the auction block a few years back, we had just moved here not too long before then...i had snapped the pic while we were walking by and i didn't think to see if it was open. there was a lot going on around it because of the farmer's market and the st pat's fest...i'm sad that i never got a chance to check out the inside. i'm going to have to follow up on this and see what the new owners are doing with it.

      Delete
  5. Did you have a hot dog at the Roanoke Wiener Stand after taking the photograph? It's one of our favorite things to do when in town.

    Best,
    Bonnie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no, i've never eaten at the wiener stand! my husband has...one of these days i'll make him take me!

      Delete
  6. I love that old building and hope it stays the way it is for historic preservation! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. shame about the end to that family business, but obviously understand why the widow would sell...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for commenting! I can understand why you want to hold the chick-lets they are VERY cute, I have hard times trying not to squeeze them to death 'cause their SO cute! I LOVE your photography! Thanks again!

    -Moira (Farm Girl)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Although I'm sorry you had to miss the meeting, it sounds as if many people were there, and I hope their voices were heard by those who make decisions. The history of the feed store is interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love those old buildings and advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes and I bet nary a discussion about reduction of salaries for city board members, etc.!
    I've visiting via A Rural Journal and I live in southwest VA; Tazewell County.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How ironic you decided to post the Agnew building. After Buddy retired from the VA Dept of ABC, he went to work part time for Krk and Tina who live here in Lex. I actually taught her in the 6th grade. They have a Walkabout Outfitters and a Ladles and Linens here in Lex as well as the ones in the Agnew building and a Walkabout at Valley View. How they do It I do not know. Bud helped Kirk clean out, update, paint, put in shelves...etc. I even saw the blood stain in the floor. So glad you showed it in your post today. genie

    ReplyDelete
  13. Great old building and I love those old painted signs.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the photo. Old buildings are great!

    Hope the county works things out - the budget around here isn't looking too promising, either.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous photo Tanya! Love those old repurposed buildings.

    Thank you for sharing at Rural Thursday!

    ReplyDelete
  16. That is one ace photo Tanya, and i like the story behind it. Looks nicely weathered.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I thoroughly enjoy old brick buildings with advertising printed on the sides. Excellent edit.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love that brick building. I hope new owners do not change it's good looks :)
    Nice shot.

    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  19. makes me so sad to hear of things closing due to budget cuts & so forth. i wish things could be different. i wonder about our county as well. seems some things are just poor choices. (:

    ReplyDelete
  20. That's a beautiful photo, Tanya! Great colors and I really like the name painted directly on the building. Nice!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)