Followers

Friday, March 28, 2014

Random 5 Friday - The Jefferson Center

(click on photo to enlarge)
Jefferson High School 1924-1974
Originally constructed in 1922, Jefferson High School served as Roanoke's largest high school for half a century. Read more about its history HERE

(click on photo to enlarge)
Fast forward to the year 1989...The Jefferson Center Foundation is born. "Jefferson Center is celebrating the arts renaissance in Virginia’s Blue Ridge and we are proud to be doing it with your support in Shaftman Performance Hall, our community’s theater, which is playing an integral role as a home to great performances." Read more HERE

The Jefferson Center. 541 Luck Avenue. Roanoke, Virginia. 24016 www.jeffcenter.org

Now for some randoms:

1) A rainy weekend in store. Blah...please don't rain on Sunday...have outdoor plans.

2) Click Here for a story about a road trip to Roanoke. You might recognize some of the places from my blog ;)

3) Click Here to see pictures of abandoned places in Virginia. I've got some of my own to add to it.

4) Click Here to see an artist a day. I directed you to artist Michael Ward. He's from Costa Mesa, Ca...not far from my own hometown. I love his retro work!

5) Click Here to see this amazing series of photos called "Where Children Sleep".

Now Click Here to read more randoms @ Nancy's Rural Journal! And have a super-d-dooper weekend ok?!


28 comments:

  1. My father graduated there in 42 but they had to mail his ring to him as he got drafted and sent to England for the invasion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reminds me of a TV show centered around a high school but I cant think of the name of it. Looks neat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's great that the buildings were saved. Similar story with my former HS, but all they saved were the gym and the football field. Guess that tells you the priorities of the local population. At least they are put to good use.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Such great looking architecture on this old school building!

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the angle of these shots. neat old school. i hope you get your wish for nice weather Sunday. but it does sounds like a rain to me. but things can always change. i remember when folks use to say that talking about the weather was a topic that folks would not get a bee in their bonnet about ... but these days it is a tough subject as well. what are we left to speak on??! ( :

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jefferson High School has come a long way hey Tanya, and I do enjoy the way things turned out for this beautiful building, could easily have been abandoned or demolished as so many wonderful old buildings are.... I do love a happy ending :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is an imposing building!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a grand looking old building, you have created a couple of great angles of it too!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love those big old high school buildings - they have so much more character than the modern ones and I've taught in both. Glad it's been repurposed.

    ReplyDelete
  10. We've been to a few things at the Jefferson Center. It's a nice place.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely old building and thanks for all the links. I found them very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I hear about events at the Jefferson Center when I listen to WVTF, but I've never been. I didn't know it used to be a high school--cool!

    Have a great weekend! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. that's a really neat building with a fine looking entrance!

    ReplyDelete
  14. The high school reminds me of the one I graduated from. However, mine was torn down and a new one built.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the look of it! Very stately.

    ReplyDelete
  16. oh, boy .. i do love links! the jefferson center sounds wonderful ... save the building and help the community. happy friday.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cool idea to put links on your Randoms! I will come back and check some of them out! LOVE the school building. Always enjoy your blog. So much great history, and some Va. memories to boot!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Fantastic brick building and thanks for the A+! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great school shots. And how great what they are using it for now. Thanks for the link to abandoned places in Virginia. I don't live in Virginia, but you never know when a road trip could happen.

    ReplyDelete
  20. As always you have some very interesting links to stuff I probably would never think to look for or at. I found the Children's Bedroom photos fascinating and also a little sad. The abandoned places were so interesting. So many of them were probably pretty awesome in their hey-day. I loved the Victorian Home, I bet it was grand when it was new.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This week RedPat from Toronto has shown a school in Toronto converted into an art center. Great minds think alike.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It reminds me of a high school here. Wonderful that the building's being used well.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This a grand looking old building! I'm glad it was saved and is in use today. Enjoyed your links, too. Have a nice weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That's funny...we have a place here called The Jefferson Center.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I found #5 fascinating. I think about my own students, where they sleep, the conditions in which they live. It saddens me greatly. Thank you for sharing these.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It rained here in KY yesterday, but more than made up for it today. Hope you had one day of sun!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)