Followers

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Signs, Signs - The Candy Store

(click on photo to enlarge)

The Candy Store. 122 Campbell Ave. SE. Roanoke, Va 24011. P: 540.904.5580

Is this not the most cheeriest of storefronts ever?! Yeah, I know! So of course we went inside! We were so excited, Nick and I, to find candies of our youth and Braden and Dalton were just excited to find candy...haha

I had to have an Abba-Zaba and some BB Bats. I remember walking to 7/11 as a kid and buying chocolate, vanilla, strawberry and banana BB Bats when I was a kid whenever I was at my uncle's house. The 7/11 was right on the corner and safe for a kid of about 10 to walk to, back then that is! I also loved Abba-Zaba's. My own kids hadn't even heard of any of these but now are big fans. When we went to the counter to pay the cashier said "You must be from the west coast".... I of course wondered "Why"? and he said because "Abba-Zaba's were a west coast candy. People out east don't know about them." I said "Well yes I am." haha...so anyways...some of you might know the Abba-Zaba and some not. BUT...if you get the chance, definitely try one...they are SO YUMMY!

Nick wanted a Marathon Bar but the man said they don't make those anymore but sold him the Marathon Bar's English cousin, the Curly Wurly which was just like the Marathon Bar!

I had got the boys some Gold Rocks bubble gum...I used to love these too as a kid! Next visit I have to see if they have Flicks Candy. Anyone remember those? Another of my childhood faves. I also loved the bright colored foil tubes they came in.

We'll be back for sure!

(click on photo to enlarge)

Linking with Signs, Signs

Snow is gone....creeping back into spring mode!

So what are some of your favorite childhood candies?

21 comments:

  1. I'd better never go there! Love the window display!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toys and candy ! Oh boy oh boy oh boy !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just imagine the fun to be had in here!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fireballs! Anyone remember those? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The gold rocks are the only thing that I remember if it is what I think they are, they used to be in a little bag like a prospector had dug them up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I used to love coconut mushrooms - I once worked in a confectionery manufacturers - one regular task was testing the flour and counting the number of insect parts and mouse hairs therein.

    ReplyDelete
  7. really cute window display! funny how candies are regional. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh i would love to check it out in person. so fun!! i have always loved candy stores since childhood. ( :

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh boy! Very tempting!

    We've got an outfit up here like that called Sugar Mountain.

    ReplyDelete
  10. There must be something in there for everyone, great to have a look inside this way :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh how sweet it is. We all have memories of favorite candies from our childhood. Pop Rocks anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a neat candy store and to find candies from your childhood, and to be recognized as a west coaster :) I remember the old corner shop just down the road from school. I would stop in there on my way home and get a penny candy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful photos! Splendid colors!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I remember only a couple of them, must be like TexWis said about being regional. The store front is an eye catcher.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am getting a stomach ache and a tooth ache just reading about all of these candies!

    So, you have a Red Sox affiliate down there? Cool. The Red Sox's AA affiliate used to be in New Britain, 10 miles west of Hartford. It was fun going to see them and try to figure out which players would be successful in the majors. I saw Roger Clemens play there. He was such a sure thing that he only stayed for a few weeks before moving on the AAA and then the major leagues.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The pink Ma-Flingos are so cute. :)
    I've never heard of any of your candies….I feel like I was neglected as a child now.
    Me? I was all about the Chunky candy bars. (little squares of SUGAR-nuts and raisins) and I couldn't go a day without watermelon jolly ranchers. Those things pulled my fillings out as soon as I got them in.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)