Followers

Friday, January 9, 2015

Willy Nilly Friday 5 No. 27 - Los Cuates

click on photo to enlarge
4524 Old Wake Forest Road . Raleigh . NC . (919) 872-6012

A lesson in Mexican food kind of Willy Nilly

1) This is why we went to Raleigh. Nick had to go to Greensboro recently. Whenever we know we are heading somewhere different, I Google "San Diego Taco Shop" in whatever area we are heading....most don't pan out...most "think" they serve "San Diego Taco Shop" food....but honestly....NO....until this one....gave Nick the location and told him to try it out while down there....he made his way over, not with a lot of hope, UNTIL....he walked in and the AROMAS gave him hope....the menu...full of stuff we love....he ordered...he tasted...he texted me...."Oh my God, this is it!"....

2) If you happen to know anyone who is a SoCal native, then you know we love our Mexican Food....taco shop Mex food...we are quite obnoxious about it and will tell you all other Mexican food sucks...sorry, but it is true...

3) The people who own this place are actually from San Diego, Chula Vista to be exact so you know they know what they are doing.

4) This is what you must order when you go...Carne Asada Burrito, try the rolled tacos but ask for the white cheese instead of cheddar...next time I want to stay the night in Raleigh and go there for breakfast and try their Machaca burritos...Nick tried their beef burrito and I am positive their Machaco would be perfect!

5) One complaint....I don't know why they don't know how to make hot sauce...they have 4 salsas but SoCal taco shops are known for their hot sauce...luckily I found THIS RECIPE a couple of years back and keep some made up in the fridge...goes great with the food we bring home from there!

Now it is your turn...post 5 randoms...link up and visit others! Have fun and Happy Friday!!



20 comments:

  1. Pretty red bricks... and: it sounds so yummy (we haven't mexican food here)
    Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds awesome, and I bet it smells and tastes awesome too! The old Mexican restaurant of our youth, the best ever, closed down years ago and we have never found anything as good. This was so long ago that I think it must have closed because everyone died.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hola, y'll. Tom The Backroads Traveller

    ReplyDelete
  4. That restaurant wasn't there all those many years ago. Sure wish it had been. Now I want to go visit Raleigh!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like a fabulous place. If I ever get down that way I surely will look it up. I love Mexican food, too. And, I do know where Chula Vista is.... I once (a hundred years ago) lived in San Diego.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I can't imagine driving all the way to Raleigh just to get something to eat! You guys are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes! yes! You KNOW what you're talking about. I'm from Southern California - and "Mexican Food" served in any chain around our nation falls way short . . . of course, the independent spots are often created to support families arriving a little at a time from other nations . . and often we get a taste of "home cooking" - from all around the world . . .

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect 'Friday food'... have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. you're in heaven, i can tell! i know how important finding authentic taste of 'home' can be!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So interesting about the SoCal Mexican food. Sounds similar to what we found in a 'burn in Houston. {More Tex Mex though?} A little hole in the wall, but they had the most ridiculous burritos/tacos! I love Mexican food!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I would be out of my element trying to order such food!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You have done something I do frequently...drive distances to get some favorite food :). Good on you!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Enjoyed this. Not sure what is different about So. Cal Mexican food, but I do see a difference in Northern Mexican (Sonoran) and So. Mexican fare. We tend to like So. Mexican better and here in Tucson they have Sonoran food because we are so close to N. Mexico. It never tastes QUITE right.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Best bud comes via Chula Vista. Know all about that place.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'll be back after dinner to visit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I've never had SoCal Mexican food, but you have me really wanting some! I love Mexican food any way I can get it, so I bet I would really love this restaurant. I just had dinner but I think I'm getting hungry again!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I like the name "The Twins." Nothing like a good Taco.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great find for you! I love mex food, too, but am not from SoCal, so may not be very particular. Mex food in New England is pretty recent and kind of iffy - although we do have a restaurant nearby that is run by native Guatamalans and we really love it.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm back. I love Mexican food and I'd love to eat San Diego Taco Shop style food and compare it to our little Mexican restaurant. they make the yummiest Queso Dip there. I could eat there more often if hubby liked it as well as I do, but he's mainly a meat and potatoes guy. :) Thanks for hosting and have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)