Followers

Friday, January 23, 2015

Willy Nilly Friday 5 No 29 - Lee-Jackson Day - Weekend Reflections

click on photo to enlarge
The Giles County Courthouse that was featured earlier in the week.

From Wikipedia:
"Lee–Jackson Day is a holiday celebrated in the Commonwealth of Virginia in the U.S., for the birthdays of Robert E. Lee and Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson. The original holiday, created in 1889, celebrated Lee's birthday. Jackson's name was added to the holiday in 1904. In 1983, the holiday was merged with the new federal holiday Martin Luther King, Jr. Day as Lee-Jackson-King Day in Virginia. This merger was reverted in 2000.

Lee–Jackson Day is currently observed on the Friday before Martin Luther King, Jr. Day, which is the third Monday in January. Typical events include a wreath laying ceremony with military honors, a Civil War themed parade, symposia and gala ball. State offices are closed for both holidays."

Linking with Weekend Reflections

Now time for some Willy-Nilly's:

1) Awwwww I think I would have to take THIS DOG to the park

2) 15 Historical Sites To See In 2015 ...surprised I have only seen 1 of these, Arlington House

3) HAHAHA THIS is hilarious!

4) I love old photos...check out THIS ...a photographic history of the circus.

5) Supposed to get snow this afternoon through tomorrow...Not sure on accumulation...not sounding like much so far....I have to go grocery shopping and it will be a mad house. Mention snow and EVERYONE will be there buying their bread and milk in case we get snowed in for a day....it's the craziest thing lol

Now it's your turn...the rules are easy-peasy...post 5 random things, link up and visit others! Have a super weekend!!





22 comments:

  1. Oh, where to begin...had seen the video. I did enjoy it though...I won't even let myself want a dog. When these cats are gone, no more animals here. At least I say that now, but they always have a way of finding me. Ever since I was a kid.
    Believe it or not, have not visited any of those 15 places....

    And I have always wondered what it would be like to be in the circus.

    Great Willy Nilly 5.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those were two very cute videos. I have only visited Arlington House and that was years ago, though I visit the cemetery often. The circus posters were fun to see, and I enjoyed these Friday 5. Thanks Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Famous series - I like circ since early childhood (and would stay a performer...
    Yeah, I know that: if it starts to snow, mood is like doomsday and all buy supplies , that's in Germany too, really funny!
    Have a great weekend with a beautiful little snow (It makes the world so pretty), but not to much -

    ReplyDelete
  4. Enjoy your weekend... and Lee-Jackson Day!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Holidays can be complicated in the Commonwealth. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think the snow is headed our way tomorrow afternoon. We have had nothing but a few dustings thus far and much as I know I will regret saying this, I am looking forward to a bit of snow

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Tanya hope you get your milk and bread. Snow scares people doesn't it. Hug B

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've yet to see any of those historic sites myself. Or Virginia for that matter. I know....I should get out more!
    The cop video is so cute; that song is SO darn catchy. My dogs pout too; but I'm good at ignoring them. LOL!
    I hope you don't get into a tussle over milk/bread today!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks sooooo much Tanya I really needed that laugh, your number three willy nilly was hilarious mainly because I've been there :) Happy weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for the "link" adventure into things you have found. The jiving cop is a really funny one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh, yeah. good luck with 'stocking up' for the big snow-in! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Remember when we had a hurricane coming up from Mexico toward us in an unusual set of circumstances...the grocery store was a madhouse. Here! :-) I remember well having to deal with all that in Florida, and in Va. too since we were on the coast many times. Heavy snow storm too...yep. Well, stay dry & warm!

    LOVED the funny dash cam! I posted it to my facebook! :-) Oh, and we have been to 4 of those historic sites, but I was ashamed to see we had only seen 4. We love history so much, and now we won't be back in Virginia much, if at all, and that makes me sad!

    Not joining in today...have the Quilt Fiesta to work, after my hubby's Dr. appt. and I thought I'd just wait till next week. I'll visit everyone though! Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Quite a list of houses to visit in Virginia. I've not been to a single one of them, but Arlington would be first on the list.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow, I have seen a lot of stuff around here, but nothing on that list. You know you live in a small town when the newspaper headlines are all about how VDOT has pre-treated the roads. I'm watching the weather and the bad weather is to start any time after three. Stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Snow does make a city stand still. We had a good storm the other day but people still came out. Todays cold wind kept them in.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I meant to tell you, my hubby being a Virginian, we always remember Lee-Jackson Day! Loved that you posted about it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. OK...one more time! :-) I am trying to get caught up on people's comments (I read them as I get them, but don't comment back right away and sometimes I get really behind!!!) And I just wanted to thank you for the sweet things you said about me losing my Dad. Yes, he was awesome...handsome, kind-hearted and fun. We had him a long time, and for that I am grateful. Many of your comments have made me realize that you and I have a lot in common. I feel a connection.

    ReplyDelete
  18. My luck with dogs? I'd probably return from a walk with this pooch missing a limb

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had never heard of Lee-Jackson day! Neat that it is still celebrated in Virginia. From what I have read, they were good men.

    ReplyDelete
  20. So, Virginia combines holidays honoring Lee and Jackson and . . . Martin Luther King, Jr.? Talk about mixed messages . . .

    ReplyDelete
  21. I don't think they did anything in the Northern Valley for Lee Jackson Day. I saw that something was happening in Lexington, of course.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)