Followers

Friday, May 28, 2010

SkyWatch Friday



This is the old Belmont Park wooden roller coaster in Mission Beach, San Diego, CA. The original Belmont Park was so much fun back in the day. I remember having a few birthday parties there and the rides were so much better than the new park. This coaster, The Giant Dipper, opened to the public on the 4th of July, 1925. It was a bit risky to ride back in the 70's, when I would go, as many would say that it would jump the track. I remember my first ride on it, so scared that it would jump the track as my neighbor told me it did, and I would be killed, but I still had to take the chance and ride it, over and over!

The rest of the park was eventually torn down but the coaster was saved and restored in 1989. I've ridden it since the restoration, but still prefer the old Belmont Park!

To see skies from all over the world, visit SKYLEY!

9 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your fun childhood memories of riding the roller coaster! I've always been a big chicken when it comes to roller coasters! The only one I could handle without experiencing sheer terror was the Matterhorn at Disneyland!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A small one. And so old...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have seen this coaster before, but never tried it! I bet it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I haven't had the courage to ride one of those since the late '70s, Afraid I might erp on myself. PLUS, they are just soooo scary!

    Di

    ReplyDelete
  5. hee hee...
    «Louis'» acute acrophobia would keep him off of this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Managed to ride it only once in my whole life, a lasting impression to start reading books while sitting upon a bench.
    Wishing you a wonderful Sunday.

    daily athens

    ReplyDelete
  7. This reminds me of the one that was at 'Lakeside' a loooooong time ago between Roanoke and Salem

    ReplyDelete
  8. The old parks were much better! We used to go to Palisades Park and Bergen Point in Bayonne, both long gone I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)