(click on photo to enlarge)
Across the street from Jack Mason's Tavern (yesterday's post) sits this cool old building. This building was owned at the turn of the century by the successful black businessman E.F. Scott. He sold produce and operated a restaurant from this location near the tracks, ran a hotel in the upper stories and a barber shop next door...found that tidbit of info HERE
along with histories of other Clifton Forge buildings.
Now let's get random!
1) Finished reading This Rock
the other night and this passage made me wonder:
"Lucky the row is turned so the graves face the east," Hank said.
"Why do graves face the east?" I said.
"So the dead will be facing Jesus when he busts through the eastern sky at the Rapture," Hank said. He heaved a big rock out of the hole.
A church faces west, and a grave faces east, I thought. The worshipers and the dead always face east.
I had never heard of this before so of course I had to Google it the next day and found THIS.
2) Dalton is taking a Tech Ed class and studying about engineering bridges. He told me about this video they watched about a bridge called Gallopin Gertie:
3) Saw a series of photos about an abandoned amusement park in Berlin. Immediately thought of Halcyon @ Berlin 365
. You can see the set of photos HERE
4) Watched an incredible video of an injured dolphin that was rescued by a diver HERE.
5) Looking forward to the St. Patrick's Day Festival
on Saturday. We haven't missed a year since we moved here. It is easily my favorite festival!
Have a great weekend and check out more randoms at Nancy's Rural Journal
Oh one more: This Dick's Sporting Goods commercial stopped my boys in their tracks tonight:
They really have a great advertising team don't they?!