Followers

Tuesday, May 9, 2023

Salem Museum - Walter Biggs


 Walter Biggs was born June 4, 1886 in Elliston, Virginia and died February 11, 1968 in Roanoke, Virginia.

I had never heard of him until visiting the museum and didn’t really know much about him until researching him for this blog post.

He had a very successful career as an illustrator in New York. 

In my last post I showed you his illustration of Uncle Watt….here is some more of his work:



I am not sure of the names of these…I need to go back to the museum!

Water Street (what he was working on in the first picture)

I am so sorry for the reflections…I have a hard time getting pictures of framed pictures without everything in the room showing up.


If you zoom in you can see what the church looks like now in the little photo to the left.




It is especially appealing to me that most of these paintings are of real local places that I can go see.

I think it would be fun now to try and find a piece of his work in a local antique store by chance!

I think that is all I have from my trip to the museum on Walter Biggs, but I do have more of the museum to show you tomorrow!

You can visit the museum Here
And I found an interesting YouTube video on Walter Biggs HERE …it’s a bit long but it looked interesting from the part I saw…dropping it here so I remember to go back and watch!




6 comments:

  1. He was obviously a talented illustrator. Glad the museum is featuring his work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A person with respectful talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting art. I sometimes use Photoscan app to control glare.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I’ll try that next time!

      Delete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)