Followers

Sunday, February 8, 2009

Mercer House-Savannah




Did I mention that my Savannah album has about 800 pictures in it? LOL, that could keep me posting Savannah photos for quite some time! Savannah is one of my favorite cities and when I grow up and become rich and famous, I would love a winter home right smack dab in the middle of one of its beautiful, historical squares.

This is the Mercer/Williams House. Construction began in 1860 for General Hugh Mercer, Great Grandfather of Johnny Mercer. The construction of the home had to take a break during the Civil War and was finally completed in 1868 by the new owner, John Wilder.

In 1969, the vacant home was purchased by Jim Williams. You can read more about the home HERE and HERE

17 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link. That is some house...I wonder what it was like living in such surroundings. I'd have been forever telling the family to take their shoes off...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Belated birthday to your sons. My computer's been under the weather. It's great to be back and catch up with your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful history the house has... and I think I am in love with the checkered floors in that hallway. Perhaps in my next home.... *sighs

    Di
    The Blue Ridge Gal

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love these photos! Looks like you had the same challenges in Savannah as I am having here trying to get good shots of the buildings through all the trees. It's hard to get a good angle on them, but fun anyway! Thank goodness for digital cameras!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL Lois, I know, and they are so huge that it's hard to take it all in on a tiny little screen!

    Thanks Angela and Di for stopping by and Brattcat, it's good to see you again after your computer issues :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Savannah is on my list of places to visit.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh you must go Country Dew, you'd love it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you have even more pictures of Savannah than we have! But we just loved exploring Savannah's historic squares.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your blog is always so interesting and educational. With lovely photos too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm coming back tomorrow to look some more. Love your posts, so interesting, and gives me links. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I lived in Savannah for a short time and loved it. It was a really funky town. I hope you enjoyed your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Never been to Savannah, so seeing these photos is a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Savannah sounds great in France too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really wonderfully restored!
    You are lucky to have such reserves! I must go out this afternoon and try to find something for my next post!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love the look of the home and the yard. I can imagine someone pulling up in a carriage.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)