Followers

Monday, March 22, 2010

Booker T Washington National Park



On Sunday, we drove out to the Booker T. Washington National Park and spent a few hours walking around. This is a very nice park with trails and a lot of history.

Booker T. Washington was born into slavery on the Burroughs tobacco farm in 1856. The park is the old tobacco farm with reconstructed buildings (not sure what happened with all the original buildings, except I think I read somewhere that the "big house" burned to the ground), farm animals, gardens and walking trails. There is also a book store where you can also watch a short film on the history of Booker T. Washington.

Pictured above is a slave cabin like the one Booker T. Washington was born in and the small building to the left is the smokehouse, where salted meat was hung to cure over a smokey fire.

I'll show you around the farm this week!

6 comments:

  1. I love the chimney's stonework.
    Both cabins look as if they will last another 100 years or so.
    nice photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds like such an interesting historical park to walk around in. My type of sightseeing tour.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tanya! Just been catching up a bit on lots of wonderful photos. The little buildings on hills are so pretty. Love the boys on St. Patrick's day too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very cute cabins and lovely composition, Tanya!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love places like this! The history is so fascinating to me.

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)