Followers

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Garden



Female slaves tended the gardens. Enclosed by a picket fence, the vegetable garden took up about an acre, space sufficient to supply a large family with an abundance of vegetables.

Workers hoed, planted and weeded, kept plants free of insects, and ensured a steady supply of fresh peas, greens, and cucumbers in summer.

Cabbages were wintered over in the ground and sweet potatoes were stored in a pit in the kitchen cabin. Beets and cucumbers were pickled and herbs and beans were dried.

Just beyond the garden is the Blacksmith Shed. In the far distance is the Tobacco Barn.

Booker T. Washington National Park

3 comments:

  1. I have never been to Booker T even though I have lived here all my life. Now I want to go! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your last couple of posts remind me of when I was 10 years old and we drove on a family vacation from Iowa to the East Coast. We learned all about plantations, tobacco farms, slavery, etc. I will never forget it.

    DI

    ReplyDelete
  3. They were very self sufficient!

    ReplyDelete

Hi! I'm so happy you've stopped by and always enjoy your comments :)