On the bridge along the Percival's Island Trail.
Ashlyn texted me last night that a boy from a nearby high school committed suicide. He was the victim of bullying. Schools say they have zero tolerance to bullying but that's not true. A friend of mine has a high school age daughter. She went to the other high school in our county. For 2 years she was bullied daily by the same group of girls. My friend was at the school almost daily to talk with the principal about these girls constantly tormenting her daughter. They just ignored it till one day my friend's daughter had enough and turned on one of her bullies and attacked her. Then of course the school was interested in this. Not with the bullies though, they were more so interested in my friend's daughter and suspended her for fighting. The bullies walked away. My friend's daughter had to change schools to get away from the abuse.
I hate bullies.
Here's 5 facts on bullies:
1) Over 3.2 million students are victims of bullying each year.
2) 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene 4 percent of the time.
3) 1 in 7 students in grades K-12 is either a bully or a victim of bullying.
4) Over two-thirds of students believe that schools respond poorly to bullying, with a high percentage of students believing that adult help is infrequent and ineffective.
5) Harassment and bullying have been linked to 75 percent of school-shooting incidents.
Visit Do Something to see how you and your kids can make a difference.
Visit Nancy @ A Rural Journal for more randoms.