Botetourt County Courthouse in Fincastle
The Botetourt County Courthouse was built in 1848; it suffered a severe fire in the 1970s and was rebuilt. The plans for the courthouse that preceded this one were drawn by Thomas Jefferson.Genealogists from around the country can find original, primary source documents in the County Clerks Office located within the Courthouse. Info found HERE and I've shown you another photo HERE
Linking with Friday Fences
1) Muir: "I've always thought the small hours was a deep, tender, and terrible time. Late at night all the fat and sweetness of things are gone, and you feel hard up against the cold bare facts. If you think too much in the wee hours your life don't seem worth nothing. Late at night you feel stripped down to the bone and facing the emptiness and awfulness of the world." A passage I like from the book I am reading
2) The boys had a scrimmage game last night at Central Academy Middle School in Fincastle. As I was driving us there and passing the courthouse I thought "hmmm, how funny, I've decided to feature the court house for Friday's post so I should pull over and get a night shot of it." And so I did:
3) I have used the old records inside of the court house for, well, old records. When we first moved here, we bought a very old house, 150+ years old. I went to the court house to find records on it. The people there were so nice and helpful. The woman who helped me knew the family who had it in their family for much of the 20th century. We knew that that gorgeous old house would never be the "Breese House" and would always be known as the "Hancock House". I am at peace with knowing it is back in their family now.
4) We watched Despicable Me 2 this week. Rent it, or buy it, but watch it. So cute!
5) Speaking of buying movies, I used to buy new releases that I thought we would love the day they came out. Now I can't remember the last time I bought an actual dvd (not counting my workout dvd's). Although I did buy The Conjuring on Hulu a couple of months back. I guess that's the way of movies now...
6) Did I say 6? Why yes, yes I did! Lucky you, I just remembered this site I wanted to share with you, if you are an avid reader, Book Perk. Enter your email address and every day they send you "book perks" for your e-reader. This week I purchased
for $1.99! I love Adriana Trigiani and will start this book when I finish This Rock.
Check out more randoms HERE
Have a great weekend!! :)
Ciel was wondering if the courthouse was rebuilt to look the same as the original and I found this old photo of it:
and a newpaper article about the fire, you can read that HERE